Sunday, March 7, 2010

'Please Don't Take My Sunshine Away' - R.I.P Mark Linkous/Sparklehorse


Mark Linkous, better known under his moniker Sparklehorse, has sadly ended his life at the age of 47. Rest in peace.
Today, without knowing yet of his passing, I played 'Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot', (the debut album from Sparklehorse released in 1996.) Perhaps part of me knew. Or maybe it's just that I play it so often. Aside from the adventurous title, this release contains the first song I ever heard from this deeply unique artist, 'Hammering the Cramps.' I was 14 or 15 when I found it on a compilation, and its weird vocals and tremelo-laden guitars immediately resonated with me.

Sparklehorse is one of those rare songwriters who successfully created his own universe. The sound of his records were distinctive, a collision of lo-fi recordings, crisp drum machines and dusty mellotrons. His fragile vocals were often treated with interesting effects, but not in a superficial way like many other acts. The sonic effects simply added another layer to the already heady atmosphere of the songs. To top it all off, his lyrics were highly surreal, yet somehow moving. They were also incredibly visual, incoporating bizarre images of animals and insects. Take this example from 'Happy Man', a track off his second album 'Good Morning Spider' (1998):

"I woke up in a horse's stomach one foggy morning
His eyes were crazy
As he crashed into the cemetary gates."

The level of respect that major musicians had for Mark Linkous is easily grasped by looking at a lineup of collaborators and guests that appeared on the Sparklehorse albums: Tom Waits, David Lynch, Danger Mouse, PJ Harvey...the list goes on. The music community will be saddened by the loss of this one-off creative genius.

To qoute one more Sparklehorse lyric:

"May your shade be sweet
And float upon the lakes
Where the sun will be
Made of honey."

-AMCS.

1 comment: