Sunday, March 29, 2009

Random trivia...

According to the UK Hit Singles book (don't ask me why I don't have the Australian version), approximately 40 years ago today (March 27) Marvin Gaye's version of 'I Heard it Through the Grapevine' was topping the charts. It would become Motown's biggest ever single.

Ten years later in March 1979, Gloria Gaynor's 'I Will Survive' was reigning supreme, ensuring years of bad Karaoke versions.

A decade on in March 1989, Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' dominated the airwaves, with the "controversial" video clip to boot.

It was ten years ago today when, in 1999 Britney Spears had a little ditty out called 'Baby One More Time.' A rock critic once referred to her as "Madonna next door." Spooky.
I don't know about you, but I distinctly remember not being able to escape that song where I lived at that point, much like The Offspring's 'Pretty Fly (For A White Guy). I was 15 and, subsequently, was traumatised and didn't emerge from my bedroom for three years.

Good times...
-AMCS

No comments:

Post a Comment